Cockroaches lead to temporary restaurant closure
A Yaohan Centre food court eatery was closed for one day on Tuesday due to a cockroach infestation.
Golden Rice Bowl Restaurant, at 1045-3700 No. 3 Rd., was closed because of the pest infestation as well as unsanitary conditions.
Following a routine Nov. 5 inspection of the store, owned and operated by Hak Sun Lee, a health inspector noted:
• floor, walls, counters, equipment and food contact surfaces are visibly dirty and appears to have not been cleaned or sanitized in a very long time
• dishes and utensils visibly unclean after washing
• wiping cloths dirty and/or not stored properly (sanitizing solution not used)
• no sanitation plan available on site
• several food items (tofu in hot sauce, chicken and celery in spicy sauce and beef in ginger sauce) were held at room temperature
But it was during the follow-up inspection, on Nov. 6, that the inspector found a cockroach infestation.
While the eatery was advised to contact a pest control company to implement pest control measures, live cockroaches were still observed.
However, the restaurant was allowed to reopen on Wednesday, after the other issues were resolved.
Lee was unavailable for comment at press time Thursday.