- BC Games
Police find unusual cache of weapons inside car
A routine patrol stop became anything but routine earlier this month when police discovered an arsenal of dangerous and unusual weapons inside a car on Ferguson Road, north of Vancouver International Airport.
Richmond RCMP Cpl. Nycki Basra said an officer stopped the vehicle on Sea Island on Dec. 4 and noted the smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
The driverm, passenger, and vehicle were searched and that’s when the weapons cache was found.
Among the items seized:
• a mace, a medieval-style weapon comprising a long metal bar with sharp edges and three-inch nails alternating with three-inch saw blades at one end;
• a morning star, designed similarly to the mace, but with the weighted end connected to a handle by a chain;
• two thick throwing stars;
• an ornate curved dagger with a two-and-a-half inch blade;
• a mini-katana with a three-inch blade.
Richmond RCMP also found a small amount of marijuana.
The driver was given a 24-hour driving prohibition and all of the weapons were seized.
Basra said three of the five weapons are classified as prohibited weapons, and as a result police are continuing their investigation to determine whether criminal charges are warranted.
The weapons police found “pose a serious threat to public safety,” Basra said.