Emergency surgery for suspected drug mules
Two men believed to have swallowed a significant amount of cocaine were taken to Richmond Hospital on Sunday, according to a tweet by Scan BC (@ScanBC).
"#Richmond Fire and BC Ambulance are responding to Customs at #YVR for 2 individuals that have swallowed a significant amount of cocaine," reads the message on Twitter.
Canada Border Services Agency's Jennifer Bourque confirmed that on Sunday, border agents who were performing outbound currency checks, intercepted two male travelers who were suspected to be internal narcotics carriers.
"During questioning, border services officers at the airport became concerned that the travelers might have ingested narcotics. Further examination led to arrests and they were promptly transported to hospital as per regular procedure," Bourque said in an e-mail.
Doctors at Richmond Hospital confirmed the travelers had ingested large quantities of suspected drugs, which subsequent tests indicated was methamphetamines.
"Because the pellets were deteriorating, the two individuals had to undergo emergency surgery."
Police are continuing their investigation.
—Martin van den Hemel