News

Man pleads guilty to grisly 2009 murder

The man charged in the grisly 2009 double-murder of a local couple at a McDonald’s restaurant, has pled guilty to murder and manslaughter.

Chang Xi Wang entered the guilty pleas last week in B.C. Supreme Court to the murder of Joseph Zhe Hu, 36, and to the manslaughter of Yan Lin, 37.

According to the Ming Pao Daily News, while the victims Hu and Lin lived together like a couple with their children, Lin was actually legally married to Wang, the man who killed her that Aug. 28, 2009 evening.

Wang’s lawyer, Don Morrison, said Wang’s guilty plea carries with it a penalty of life in prison.

After agreeing upon a statement of facts about the case, Morrison and the Crown will argue what’s a fitting period before Wang is permitted to make an application for parole.

Wang’s sentencing hearing before B.C. Supreme Court Justice Arne Silverman on March 28 at 10 a.m., is scheduled for half the day.

Morrison would not reveal whether Wang, Lin and Hu were in some way linked to an immigration fraud scheme or love triangle.

But Lin and Hu both worked for Maplestream Business Development, an immigration consulting firm, and Lin was listed as the company’s vice-president.

Back in 2009, realtor Linda Wang told The Richmond Review that the two victims had been happily living together in their Riverdale Drive home since 2004, and were raising three children as well as a nephew in the home. They also lived with Lin’s parents, who were in their late 60s.

According to court records, just two days prior to the murders, a no-contact order barring Wang from contacting the victims—along with six others—had expired. The no-contact order came on the heels of an assault conviction against Wang in May of 2008, in which Lin was the victim.

On the night of the murders, Wang was arrested just a couple of blocks away, thanks in part to an off-duty Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team officer who was only a block from the scene of the slayings at the time.

The grisly and violent stabbing scene horrified customers and staff at the popular eatery, Canada’s first McDonald’s outlet.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Protestors claim immigration is reason for traffic gridlock
 
Ethel Tibbits Awards raise a record amount
 
Council orders Richmond property owner to clean up
Man sentenced for three bank robberies
 
Two police officers hospitalized after being rammed by stolen truck in Surrey
 
Police say attack near library was targeted
More arrests on Burnaby Mountain Saturday
 
RCMP apprehend suspects following violent crime spree
 
Hand over the driving reins to Operation Red Nose

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.