Man found guilty in 2009 home invasion

A 27-year-old man has been found guilty in B.C. Supreme Court of a violent home invasion at a house on River Road four years ago.

John Lewis Roy Summers was convicted of breaking and entering, robbery, unlawful confinement, assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm.

A man and his wife were getting ready for bed in their house on the 3000 block of River Road on July 23, 2009, when three men broke down a door to their home and ran upstairs toward their bedroom.

The woman locked herself in the bathroom, and she then heard her husband scream for help.

One of the men, who was wearing a bulletproof vest with writing on it, and some sort of mask over his face, along with black gloves, then broke the door into the bathroom.

“She was seven months pregnant and asked him not to hurt her. She was not hurt but she said that she was having difficulty breathing because of pepper spray in the air,” B.C. Supreme Court Justice Gregory T.W. Bowden wrote.

The husband, who had been in bed, got up when he heard the noise. He testified he saw three people wearing balaclavas run into his bedroom, two with handguns, and all wearing shirts and caps with police logos on them.

The husband tried to run to the alarm panel, but was tackled, punched and then pepper sprayed.

“They put handcuffs on him and he was taken downstairs. He described seeing a small white guy downstairs who did not seem to be doing anything.”

After being taken downstairs and seeing another person walking around, she was taken back upstairs where at some point she managed to pick up a phone, hide it in her armpit and dial 911 without being seen.

“She remembers seeing five persons in the house and they were all wearing what she described as masks but were probably balaclavas,” Justice Bowden wrote.

The home invaders took various personal property, including cell phones, about $1,000 in cash, a Rolex watch and jewelry.

At some point, one of the intruders noticed that police had arrived, and they bolted through a door at the rear of the house.

Because neither of the complainants was able to identify the accused, the case rested mostly on circumstantial evidence, including the discovery of DNA linking two of the three accused to the crime scene.

Summers was arrested on the evening of the home invasion in the vicinity of the targetted home, along with Glenn Joseph Young and Scott Shefton Warner.

Summers and Warner  were hiding in some the bushes just north of the Save-On Foods store in Terra Nova.

A police officer and his police dog were searching for the suspects when voices came from the bushes.

“Don’t send in the dog. We give up.”

Summers was wearing a navy blue suede shirt and matching pants, and was sweating profusely to the point that his clothes were wet and he had mud smears on his pants.

Summers was carrying cash in his jacket pocket, totaling $1,325.

Another officer was tasked to the investigation, and was asked to collect any physical evidence.

She saw a Chrysler Sebring vehicle in the driveway of the complainants’ house without any licence plates—later found inside the vehicle.

In the yards of nearby houses, she found a black hat with SWAT written on it, black gloves, black balaclavas, bulletproof vests and a green ski mask, along with a Rolex watch, a cell phone belonging to one of the homeowners, and a loaded firearm.

Summers will next appear in B.C. Supreme Court on Aug. 28 at 2 p.m., when a sentencing date will be scheduled.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, April 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.