Fire put out at Matthew McNair Secondary
Mathew McNair Secondary students were dismissed from class Monday morning, after an apparently intentional fire ignited in one of the school’s washrooms.
Richmond RCMP and Richmond Fire-Rescue are still investigating the blaze, which broke out at about 11:30 a.m.
“Someone had seemed to light a paper towel dispenser on fire. It looks like it was deliberate,” said Richmond board of education chair Donna Sargent.
The fire was extinguished quickly as the school’s sprinkler system activated immediately. However, potential water damage may now affect the walls surrounding the perimeter. Richmond school administrators are currently assessing the damage.
No staff or students were injured during the fire, but Sargent was adamant that the repercussions of the situation will not be dealt with mildly.
“If this is just a prank, or a joke, there are consequences to this. Students need to be aware that isn’t something that goes lightly,” she said.
Richmond police, fire departments and school administrators are still investigating and have yet to release any further details.