Fatal attack began with squabble over noodles

An argument over a bowl of noodles escalated by tragic proportions, ending in Pui Chun Winnie Poon using a knife to fatally stab her 38-year-old husband in the chest in their Ackroyd Road apartment on Aug. 14, 2012.

Poon, now 37, has pled guilty to manslaughter after originally being charged with second-degree murder, and was in Richmond provincial court this week to learn her fate.

Crown counsel Kathy Murphy said she’s seeking a mid-level sentence of between four and six years in prison for Poon, noting there were several aggravating factors in this case, including that Poon egged on her husband to assault her and played emotional head games during their final argument.

The two clashed following a family gathering during which Poon claimed he wasn’t paying enough attention to her, and that he failed to fill up her noodle bowl, Murphy told the court.

Poon compared her husband—whose name is barred from being published under a court ban—unfavourably to her first husband, but he didn’t take the bait, Murphy noted.

Even when she twice kicked her husband in the groin, as Poon sat beside her female friend who witnessed the argument, he refused to make his side of the argument physical.

And there’s no evidence that he was every physically violent with Poon, Murphy said.

Murphy said Poon “used emotionally manipulative behaviour” by initially holding to her own throat the knife she eventually used to stab him, and telling him that he needed to stop bothering her.

Poon stabbed her husband once in the upper left side of his chest, between the second and third rib, striking a blood vessel that left his heart, causing him to bleed profusely.

He struggled to the front door and called for help four or five times before slipping onto the floor, his eyes eventually rolling back into his head.

According to the witness that was in the apartment, Poon initially did nothing.

Poon then placed the knife in the kitchen sink, grabbed a towel and threw it on the floor, and tried to mop up some of the blood.

She then began to cry, put her ear to his chest, and said in Cantonese: “I’m your wife. I’m your wife, please respond to me.”

She added that in the future she would listen to him, and apologized.

The ambulance wasn’t called until more than 30 minutes later, when another friend came over.

Following her arrest, she was placed in an RCMP holding cell, where police had placed an undercover officer who spoke to her in Cantonese.

She confessed to killing someone, and guessed that she must have struck him in the heart with the fruit knife.

“She said I killed him and I know I have done wrong.”

Murphy said Poon’s husband “seemed to be quite gentle, and let Ms. Poon have her way during disputes.”

Richmond provincial court Judge Lyndsay Smith has reserved her judgement for April 22.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, April 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.